Friday 11 January 2013

The Creationist Dinosauria


The greatest dream of my early teens was to write a book on everything and anything to do with dinosaurs all from creationist perspective. I began work on it right away in the late 1990s, completing a series of books with every genera of dinosaur I knew illustrated on the pages, which I stapled together. There were some 15 books. As I grew more mature, my intentions got more serious and new ideas blossomed.
A hypothetical drawing of the tyrannosaurid Alectrosaurus olseni. It was probably very similar to Albertosaurus.
The intentions of this research project began in early 2012 as a desire for a complete creationists analysis of all fossil-bearing rock formations. The idea was to recreate these habitats with an emphasis on how the organisms interacted and what the habitat was like. Puzzling over where to start on such a massive comprehensive project, I concluded that it would be impossible, for all practical reasons, to attempt this comprehensive analysis with myself as the sole writer. Because my primary interest was in extinct reptiles, particularly large reptiles like dinosaurs, I decided to only include the formations that contained dinosaur remains. This is still the plan today but it would take far to much time to complete this in a single project, a present.

Tyrannosaurus rex might have looked something like this.
As a result of these conclusions, I have balanced my emphasis to include the baraminology of the dinosaurs. I will also lessen up on my meticulous research of the flora and fauna of the formations (though complete lists of species had been formed for the Hell Creek, Ferris, Laramie, and other Maastrichtian type habitats). The goal is to gain a better understanding of the dinosaurs themselves; how they looked, behaved, and interacted. I found that much of this, especially appearances, was dependant on the baraminology of the dinosaur. For example, if Microraptor was part of the Dromaeosauridae monobaramin, then raptors would likely have been feathered, a theory that doesn’t sit well with very conservative creationists, but is accepted by creationist professionals in the paleontology field.
I needed to start somewhere so I chose the most famous dinosaur of all time, Tyrannosaurus rex, and began a deep study of the various formations where T. rex is found. My analysis lead me to believe that Tyrannosaurus habitat was not unlike that of the semi-tropical regions of the southern United States, complete with redwood forests and numerous cypress swamps. Besides the nearly entirely modern flora, many of the creatures are almost identical to those that fill correlating ecological niches today. Among fish, there were gars and bowfins. Turtles included emydids and trionychids. Modern species like cormorants and other water birds flourished in the lake-riddled habitat. What I found was not an alien prehistoric world but a beautiful, colorful, functioning ecosystem.
For the sake of my impatient nature, my present research will detail only tyrannosaurs. To begin, I will define the tyrannosaur monobaramin and describe exactly what should be included in this kind.

3 comments:

  1. Your drawings are amazing :) And I think one day you CAN and WILL publish a book :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that was weird, lets try this again,
    Your drawing are amazing, and I think one day you can and will publish a book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah,
      Sorry about that. The comment's font color was black and, thus, invisible on my black background. That's been fixed. I am working on that book though it will have to go on hold until this busy semester is over. I'm working with our library and they'll have some better books and articles for me to work from in the spring. I hope to find a photo of the skull fragments that belong to Alectrosaurus and create a more accurate restoration. I can't find it in any of my resources.
      Caleb

      Delete